Total prep and cook time: 30 to 40 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
INGREDIENTS: 1 pound ground beef (95 percent lean) - Do not defrost frozen ground beef at room temperature, but overnight in the refrigerator.
1/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
1 large egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion, green part only
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 cup romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Wash hands under warm water with soap for 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel.
2. Combine Sesame-Soy Mayonnaise ingredients in small bowl; refrigerate until ready to use. Make sure cold foods are kept at a temperature below 40 F.
3. Wash lettuce, cabbage and carrots. Chop using a clean knife and cutting board designated for raw foods only.
4. Combine Slaw Topping ingredients in small bowl, set aside.
5. Wash hands under warm water with soap for 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel.
6. Combine bread crumbs, egg white, salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in large bowl, add ground beef and mix together lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Place patties on clean plate. Wash hands and utensils under warm water with soap for 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel.
7. Place patties on grill over medium ash-covered coals. Wash utensils and plate under warm water with soap for 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel.
8. Grill uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes turning occasionally and cook to 160 F for medium doneness. Insert a food thermometer into the thickest part of the patty to ensure the meat has reached the safe internal temperature. Wash food thermometer with hot soapy water after use.
9. About 2 minutes before burgers are done, place buns, cut sides down, on grill. Grill until lightly toasted.
10. Use a clean spatula or tongs to place the toasted buns and cooked burgers on a clean plate (Never place cooked meat on same tray as raw meat).
11. Spread equal amount of mayonnaise on bottom of each bun, top with burger. Evenly divide Slaw Topping over burgers. Close sandwiches and enjoy!